Sunday, September 10, 2006

Of Needles and Steroids

"Listen yax, we've been discussing ur situation and u need to get steroids na..."

I was dumbfounded. Shocked even. I had just entered my OB's clinic when she said these. STEROIDS??? ME???

As she explained to me that it was necessary for the maturity of the baby's lungs in case i had premature delivery (which was very likely); and that i've got two options, one is to be given through IV (which would require me to be admitted at least for one day in the hospital) and the other, through injection (2 shots, 24 hours apart); i got more and more scared.

U see, i'm terribly afraid of needles. I guess it was brought about by the anti-rabies injections i had when i was still a kid (7 shots around my belly button). Back then, my parents would reward me with a bump car ride after every session, complete with running and crying bouts, of course! :D

And steroids? What's up with that? One usually associate them with bodybuilders and athletes... so why should i have them? So despite the assurances of my OB that it had no side effects, I was still quite apprehensive even when i told my OB i'd take the first injection the day after.

I talked to my mom and her now-husband Ray via YM that night and told them recent developments in my pregnancy. Fortunately, I learned that Ray's daughter also took the same medication for the fast development of her twin babies' lungs, which were delivered 2 months before the actual due date. That somehow put me at ease about the steroids thingie...

So seeing that ultimately, it would benefit my baby, i mustered enough courage to fight my phobia and had my left arm, and a day after, right arm injected with steroids... while clinging to Jon and thinking of my reward... a bump car ride with healthy Sofia one day... =)

10 comments:

leng_psalm27 said...

hi yax, i know everything will turned out well...be praying for you...godbless

dionne said...

good thing that you and baby sofia is getting taken cared of well by your OB.

sabi ko na nga ba nagsesteroids ka eh! hehe!

miss ka na namin sa opis! miss ka na namin asarin. =P hehe!

tc!

lengirl said...

that sort of a reward is absolutely worth it, no wonder you're braving your biggest fears. will be praying for you :)

Anonymous said...

why, even if its 100 shots, i'd take it, if that will benefit my baby... :)

scary nga lang talaga..hehehe

Dorothy said...

be strong sis. praying for you & your baby. :)

mrs.S said...

Hi Yax! I will be praying for you, Jon and baby Sofia. Stay strong, dear!

macy said...

my prayers for a healthy baby and a safe delivery. take care!

Anonymous said...

i hate needles, too. getting over your fear of needles is a big step of becoming a mom.

Yen Prieto said...

hi yax, havent been here in a while, and so i was a bit surprised when i read ur post, i have to read the previous ones as well para maintindihan ko. im praying that u and ur baby sofia will be fine and that everything will turn out well. just be strong for ur baby and ur hubby.

Obi Macapuno said...

takot ako sa karayom at dugo.

but we all have to go through all of these in some points of our lives so good luck on yours, God bless... and i know you and your family will do well. just believe.

;)